The UMFA Internship Program builds the skills of college juniors and seniors, recent graduates, graduate students, and beginning museum professionals. UMFA interns are provided with the opportunity to build their resumes, gain valuable behind-the-scenes experience, and work with professional staff members to complete museum projects and initiatives.
The Museum offers internships each semester. Summer Semester internships last 12 weeks, while Fall or Spring Semester internships last 15 weeks. Internships are available in numerous Museum departments, including collections, curatorial, programming, education, marketing, and more. Unless otherwise indicated, internships DO NOT include a stipend.
Once accepted, each intern is placed in a specific museum department and assigned a museum mentor. They are expected to work an average of six to ten hours per week, and are required to attend a series of enrichments that allow them to interact with the UMFA's Director, department heads, and professional staff, gaining comprehensive exposure to the Museum's operations. UMFA interns are also invited to attend the UMFA's general staff meetings and their assigned department's staff meetings.
UMFA interns who are also current University of Utah students may apply for a $500 scholarship during the semester they serve as an intern.
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR SPRING 2016
Application deadline: Saturday, December 19, 2015
Photography Intern for the Collections Department
The UMFA seeks a photography intern for the Spring 2016 semester, with the possibility of continuation into the 2016-17 academic year.
This intern will work alongside Adelaide Ryder, the museum's Collections Photographer, in photographing and archiving bronze objects from the permanent collection for the purposes of the IMLS Metals project grant.
This position will handle art objects, photograph objects using product photography studio equipment, edit images using Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge, import metadata, and update the museum's database. The intern will be trained by the Collections Staff in proper art handling techniques.
- 10 hours a week time commitment, more if deadlines require
- Hours flexible between 9 am and 50 pm
- Intern reports to and works with the collections photographer
- At least two years of college level digital photography or equivalent education
- Photography skills using DSLR cameras
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop
- Strong computer skills for quick mastery of programs used
- Respect and care for delicate art objects
- Willingness to quickly and adeptly learn proper art handling techniques
Application Requirements: Follow the procedures at the bottom of this page. Please include any pertinent work place or educational experience, and a one-page max cover letter explaining why you would like to use your photography skills for experience working in the UMFA's collections department. Portfolio viewing will be required during the interview process.
The UMFA seeks an exceptional upper-level undergraduate or graduate student to participate in and contribute to the museum's curatorial initiatives.
- Gather comprehensive artist research
- Provide support for exhibition development and ongoing curatorial projects
- Department administrative duties
- Research the permanent collection
- Draft gallery labels
- Organize files and libraries
- Prepare correspondence, presentations and checklists
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated
- Strong knowledge of and interest in art history
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Competence in general research and office duties
- Pursuit of a Master's degree in studio art, art history, curatorial studies, museum studies, or arts administration preferred
- Writing samples required for all applicants
Schedule: Minimum 16 hours/week for a full semester. Work-study and/or school credit can be arranged on case-by-case basis.
Marketing and Communications Internship
The Utah Museum of Fine Arts (UMFA) seeks a marketing and communications intern to assist in promoting the UMFA's ambitious program of exhibitions, events, and community outreach. The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communications skills; the ability to work independently or as part of a team on multiple projects; and be highly organized, self-motivated, and reliable. Finalists will be asked to submit samples of written work. This internship offers an entry-level introduction into the daily marketing and communications efforts in a creative museum environment.
- Contributes to strategic planning for promotion of exhibitions and events across campus and community
- Distributes printed promotional collateral to community organizations
- Helps coordinate UMFA's participation in campus and community festivals, preparing promotional materials and representing UMFA on an as-needed basis
- Helps update University and community calendars with Museum event information
- Helps develop and implement visitor and reader surveys
- Helps track and evaluate website and electronic newsletter analytics
- Research trends and implement automation features on email marketing platform
- Assists in other marketing and communications initiatives as required
Required Skills: Excellent communications skills, both written and spoken | Attention to detail | Familiarity with social media | Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel | Creativity | Grace under pressure
Schedule: Weekdays, with occasional evenings and weekends
HOW TO BECOME AN INTERN
- Download the Internship Application HERE.
- Complete and submit the application via email or mail* and include:
- The Intern Coordinator will contact potential interns to arrange an interview.
- After successfully completing the interview with the Intern Coordinator you may be contacted by a potential mentor/supervisor for a second interview.
*if you choose to mail your application, please be sure to mail it several days in advance of the deadline to allow it to arrive in time. Late applications will not be accepted. We strongly suggest that students utilize the resume and interview resources available from their campus career services office before applying.
Use the online form below or call 801.581.4405